Thursday, September 25, 2014

Birthday Mum

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are enjoying all of the fall inspiration that the Design Team has been sharing.  I love all things fall, so why I decided to make something other than a fall card is beyond me!  I chose to 'repurpose' one of the new sets, Autumn Mum Greetings, and use it for a birthday card in bright and bold colors instead of fall colors. 


This is such a gorgeous flower that I could not resist coloring it in a bold pink.  I masked the image multiple times to create the corner bouquet.  I colored the main flower using Copics for the petals and a black Sharpie for the leaves.  Once I finished coloring, I masked the flower and sponged around the card edges with black ink.  I have never sponged with black ink before and I think there is a bit of a learning curve, but I still like the results.  The sentiment is from the Forest Silhouettes Stamp Set; it is stamped in Versamark and embossed in white.  I added sequins for a bit of shimmer and shine. 
Now I cannot take credit for this technique.  The talented Deepti, who some of you may know from the blogging world, described this technique, which is called the Focal Black and White technique; she has lifted it straight from the world of photography! 
That is it for me today; I hope you give this technique a try and I hope you try to 'repurpose' one of your Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps!

Hugs! 

Lee Ann  :)

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Wow! Love it! I can't wait to try this technique. I have to say, I have never used Copic markers, can someone please explain the appeal to me? I have been a SU! girl for many years and I am just now branching out. Thanks!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Brandi, Copic markers, along with other brands, including the new SU Blendabilities, are alcohol based. Because of this, they blend wonderfully, without lines, steaks etc, that other water based markers leave. I did not do too much blending on this card, so you could probably get away with regular markers for coloring.