Sunday, December 7, 2014

Hillside Edges Ornament...

Hello! It's Monika here today, bringing you an ornament. 

 I saw this video from Betsy Veldman and I fell in love with the pretty ornament she had created. Since I wasn't able to purchase the kit she used, I was super excited to see the Hillside Edges Die set. It is the perfect set to make something similar.





I purchased my plastic ornaments (appr. 2-3/4" diameter) from Michael's. They come 2 halves per pack. Please check the size, since they have different ones available.



I started by die-cutting:
 -two 2-3/4" circles out of white, 
-one 2-3/4" circle out of blue 
-one coordinating scallop circle out of red card stock (which is a tad bit larger than the circle). 
I used Spellbinders dies, which were the perfect sizes for the plastic ornament.


Next, I die-cut the scene. I made sure the the hills with the tree and the houses come out about the same sizes so the hills are covering each other... it makes the layering much easier.


 

Next I worked on the blue background circle. I splashed shimmer mist on top and stamped my greeting (from Christmas Morn clear stamp set) with Onyx Black VersaFine. 


Before I started to build the scene, I had to trim the sides of the circles (all 3 layers) just a tiny bit, so the plastic cover would fit perfectly on the blue circle:



The first layer was adhered with double sided tape, The next 2 layers,  the hill with the sweet little houses and the small hill were adhered with dimensional tape. I covered the back side well with the dimensional tape, so the glitter snow wouldn't end up behind the popped up layers.



 Next I adhered some star sequins to the background, added some glitter snow, and adhered the plastic ornament to the circle (use either white craft glue or hot glue gun), then to the red scallop circle (use regular double sided tape). Please note, the original ornament was made with a Kraft scallop circle...

The ornament was decorated with a piece of pearl string that I attached using a hot glue gun, bells, punched out greenery, baker's twine and ribbon (to hang the ornament)...

I hope you will give this a try. It might look difficult, but it was very easy to put together. I followed the tips from the video (including adding pennies to the back to balance out the weight).

Thanks for stopping by,

Monika





3 comments:

Cathymac said...

Wonderful tutorial, Monika! I will definitely have to give this a try...your ornament is beautiful!

Pati said...

How fun!! Wonderful ornament and cute scene! Thanks for sharing and linking the video.

Jill Norwood said...

Adorable!