Monday, June 15, 2015

Tutorial Monday: Water color background with Pastels...

UPDATE:
The stamps used in this tutorial are available for preorder and are expected back in stock this week, but quantities will be limited.

Hello! It's Monika here today, bringing you a water color background with Pastels. 

I've been eyeing Brushos and Color Bursts (powered water color), but haven't had a chance to get any yet... then, I saw this amazing video (HERE), using Pastels to achieve a somewhat similar result, and I had to give it a try. So I went to my local craft store, and got a set of Chalk Pastels for under $3 (with a coupon). 

I just needed a file (found one in my hubby's tool box, but a regular nail file or sandpaper would work just as well), water color paper, and a spritzer bottle.


I trimmed my card stock a bit bigger than needed, and taped it to a clip board with masking tape... then I got to work... I sanded the pastels onto the card stock, then spritzed water on top, and watched my colors come to live...



I dried the card stock with my Heat Tool. At this point, you can go back and add more Pastels powder, and spritz the background again with water. 


Each time, you will get a different result... here are some of my backgrounds:


Please note, some of the chalk will rub off without using some kind of fixative. Hair spray might work, but it can change the hues of the colors.


 To finish the card, I heat embossed some images from Beauty of the Sea clear stamp set on Vellum with white embossing powder and die cut the images with the coordinating dies from Beauty of the Sea die set. The greeting is from Be Encouraged clear stamp set


Thank you for stopping by,
Monika




7 comments:

Donna Whitten said...

Beautiful card!!!

Cathymac said...

This is awesome, Monika! I've been putting off ordering Brushos...now I'm glad I did! Will definitely have to give this a try! Your card is gorgeous! Love the vellum seashells!

Anonymous said...

Is the Beauty by the Sea die set an open or solid die set? I really liked your
tutorial and wish to buy both the stamp set and the die set but I see they are a preorder only!

cairn1 said...

Great card and great instructions! When is it available for purchase? I see it is a preorder.

Andrea D. La Vigne said...

Such a cool idea! Love the backgrounds you made, and your finished card project. Tfs! ~ Andrea

Korin said...

The stamps used in this tutorial are available for preorder and are expected back in stock this week, but quantities will be limited. The dies are open.

Darnell said...

NO WAY!! I have never seen this done before and can't wait to try it! Thank you so much for this!! Hugs, Darnell